Sunday, May 9, 2010

Beef Stroganoff


Today, I invited my Mom and brothers over for Mother's Day dinner to have my Mom's favorite dishes: beef stroganoff and apple pie. My mom has great memories of beef stroganoff that my Aunt Dana used to make but hasn't had it in 15 years (she says). So, I found a great recipe and whipped it up for her. It was DELICIOUS! My brothers don't normally like the food that I make (cause it's too fancy, they say), but they both loved this and gave me high fives. You really gotta try this!

Beef Stroganoff
Adapted from For The Love of Cooking

Ingredients
1 lb lean beef, cut into chunks (I used cube steak)
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme
4 c beef stock
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
8 oz mushrooms, sliced (I prefer cremini)
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire
3 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp cornstarch (mix with 2 tbsp water)
Egg noodles
Parsley

Directions
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. In a oven-safe pot, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add beef chunks and brown the meat, 3 minutes. Add onion and garlic, saute 2 minutes. Add bay leaf, thyme, and beef broth. Put the lid on the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook for 4 hours.

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and mushrooms, saute until golden brown. Remove the pot from the oven and place on the stove top on low heat. When mushrooms are done, add them to the pot. Add dijon, worcestershire, sour cream, and corn starch mixture. Bring to a boil and then turn to low and simmer until the noodles are ready. Serve with egg noodles and garnish with parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment