Thursday, June 10, 2010

Lentils with Pasta and Greens


Hi Friends! Sorry, I've been absent. Went on vacation and started my new job! All very exciting, but not enough cooking being done. I'm back on the wagon, so never fear.

I found this in a Rachael Ray cookbook my cousin, Cassady, got me years ago. It caught my eye because it involved lentils, which a great fiber, as well as swiss chard, which I've never cooked with before. It turned out to be very good and satisfying. It'd be great on a cold wintery night with bread and a glass of wine.

Lentils with Pasta and Greens
Adapted from Rachael Ray, Class 30-Minute Meals

Ingredients

2/3 c dried lentils, green or any other variety
2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
10-12 oz pasta (I used whole wheat fusili)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c red wine
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 can vegetable broth
1 lb swiss chard, washed, dried and chopped *cut out tough rib down the middle* (My store had both red and green. I used red because it added nice color).
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt
Pepper

Directions

Cover lentils with water and bring to a boil. Add a bay leaf and cook until the lentils are tender, 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, put a large pot of water over high heat for pasta. When water boils, add salt and pasta. Cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain.

Preheat a large skillet and add extra virgin olive oil. Add remaining bay leaf, onion, carrots, red bell pepper, and garlic. Saute 10 minutes over medium heat. Add wine and cook until liquid reduces, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 more minute. Add vegetable broth and swiss chard; cover. Once greens have wilted, season with allspice, cumin, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until greens are tender, about 10 minutes.

When greens are tender and no longer bitter, uncover and stir in drained lentils and pasta. Adjust seasonings and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment