Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Grilled Chicken Salad with Parmesan Breadcrumbs and Sundried Tomato Dressing


Guys... remember how I said that steak salad was amazing? Well, this one is A-mazing! I cannot even describe how delicious the dressing is and how easy it is to bring together. And the breadcrumbs... ugh... I died and went to delicious crunchy breadcrumb heaven. Try this one!!! Do it. Go ahead. I'll wait...

This was another of those lighten up comfort food meals they were doing. This is they healthier take on Chicken Parmesan. Don't get me wrong, I love cheesy delicious chicken in marinara, but this is actually way better than the real thing!

Grilled Chicken Salad with Parmesan Breadcrumbs and Sun dried Tomato Dressing
Adapted from the Food Network Magazine

Ingredients

1 plum tomato, halved
4 sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, plus 2 tbsp of the oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp dried oregano (I had fresh from my cute herb garden so I used that. It's about twice the dried)
1 bunch fresh basil, torn
1/2 c grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 c breadcrumbs (I had frozen left over french bread which I just threw into the food processor to make my own, but you can use store bought too)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
8 c greens (Italian salad blend, arugula, or whatever. I used spinach)
8 oz bocconicini (small mozzarella balls), quartered

Directions *this is supposed to be done on the grill. I will write it that way and then tell you how I did it on the stove*

Preheat grill to high. Puree the plum tomato, sun dried tomatoes and oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, a few basil leaves, and 2 tbsp Parmesan in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add 2-3 tbsp water, if needed to thin. Season with salt and pepper.

Halve the chicken breasts horizontally to make 4 1/4inch thick cutlets. Brush with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken until marked on the bottom, about 4 min, then turn and grill until cooked through, another 4 min. Transfer to a cutting board.

Heat the remaining 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the breadcrumbs, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden (2min). Add the remaining 3 tbsp plus 1 tsp Parmesan and the parsley. Cook until toasted, about 1 more min.

Toss the salad greens and the remaining basil in a large bowl. Cut the chicken into pieces and add to the green along with the mozzarella. Toss with the dressing, then sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture.

*Non-grill method: put 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a heavy bottom pan (I used cast-iron) and bring to medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts. Sear on one side (4 minutes or so) then flip and let cook through (another 4-5 minutes). Transfer to a cutting board to rest, then slice.*


1 comment:

  1. first paragraph = adorable!!! i want this sooo bad right now! ugh for kids who take naps and keep me from going to the store :)

    ReplyDelete