Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

You may have heard about my love for butternut squash. After a year of this, I still can't explain it. If it's on the menu at a restaurant, I'm ordering it. If I come across a recipe with it, I print it and put it on the menu. With this in mind, you can understand why I had to make this... butternut squash AND macaroni and cheese! Are you kidding me?

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients

2 c small pasta
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
3/4 c milk
1/2 c butternut squash puree (I had squash frozen so I defrosted and roasted)
1 1/2 c cheese (your favorite)
2 tbsp cream cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp pepper

Directions

Bring a pot of water to boil for the pasta and cook according to directions.
Strain and set aside.

Melt butter over medium low heat in a saucepan and add flour.
Whisk and cook for 2 minutes. It will resemble a paste.

Slowly add the milk. Whisk until combined and smooth. Next, add everything else.
Stir to combine. Add the sauce to the pasta.
*To make butternut squash puree, simple cut a butternut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Place on a oven safe dish or baking sheet.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper and add some extra virgin olive oil. Roast in the oven for 50 minutes at 400 degrees. Scoop the meat from the skin and place in a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth.
*

1 comment:

  1. Please make for me!!! Do you actually buy whole squash? Can you buy frozen chunked squash?

    ReplyDelete