Thursday, March 25, 2010

Melon Salad with Lemon Mint Dressing


When I asked my aunt what she wanted on her menu, she said something melon. Because she's a vegetarian, I couldn't do melon wrapped in prosciutto and didn't want to serve wedges of cantaloupe or honeydew. I found this in my old binder of recipes that I must have printed years ago. This is so refreshing and came out really delicious. The plus side is that you use a simple syrup, so even if you didn't get the ripest melon it'll be sweetened up with the dressing.

Melon Salad with Lemon Mint Dressing

Ingredients

4 cups melon (I used 2 c each cantaloupe and honeydew), remove using a melon baller
1 bunch mint
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c water
1/4 c lemon juice

Directions

Combine water and sugar in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat till just boiling and sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.

In a blender, combine mint, lemon juice, 1/4c of cooled syrup. Blend and top melon with desired amount of dressing. I didn't use all of it, so add some, taste it, add some, taste it, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this recipe Shanna! I've made it twice now..it's the perfect spring side dish and everyone loves it! I also toss in strawberries with the melon..yummy!

    ReplyDelete