Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pulled Chicken Sandwiches

Ok, I know all of you are thinking "Isn't she supposed to be a vegetarian?" Yes, I am. I've been a vegetarian almost 3 weeks and to be honest... it's hard! I dream about chicken and bacon now. Every time I go to the refrigerator I want a BLT. I'm posting this delicious BBQ pulled chicken recipe because if I could eat meat, this is what I'd make for dinner. I've made this so many times I can't count. It's super delicious and easy. I like to top my sandwiches with sliced avocado, diced onion and some shredded cheese. My mouth is watering as I type...

Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Adapted from Rachael Ray

Ingredients

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Salt and pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/3 cups BBQ (whatever your favorite is)
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
Hot sauce
6 rolls or buns, split and toasted
Shredded cheese for sprinkling

Directions

Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in a heavy pot with the onion, garlic and just enough water to cover. Add the BBQ sauce, vinegar, and a few drops hot sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the sauce and shred with two forks.

Boil the sauce, skimming occasionally, until reduced by half, anywhere from 15-30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the shredded chicken and heat through. Spoon the mixture onto the rolls and top with your favorite items.

*Ugh... this was painful to write just thinking of how tasty the chicken is...*

1 comment:

  1. I think this would be delicious served on a baked sweet potato with all the fixings! Can you find a simple, simple white fish recipe for me to make for John? And a picture with it!!!

    ReplyDelete