Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mini Meatball Sandwiches

This is one of those meals that you love but never order out because it's so messy to eat in public. Or at least that's why I don't... Aaaanyway...

There is this blog that I follow every day (it's that good) called Pioneer Woman and she posts funny ramblings about her life on a Oklahoma ranch every day; stories about her kids, Marlboro Man (her cowboy husband), their animals and other stuff. Included in that are a section for recipes, which is where I got this. I also bought her cookbook the other day and read it cover to cover. No joke... like it was a Nicholas Sparks tear jerker (without the sobbing).

K, so the moral of this story is you should make this. That's all.

Mini Meatball Sandwiches
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients

1 lb ground chuck or ground beef
1/2 c bread crumbs (seasoned, plain, panko... whatever)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
1/2 c milk (whatever you drink is fine... maybe not chocolate though)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 jar marinara sauce
12 slider rolls or dinner rolls
Italian cheese of some kind (mix, mozz, parm, etc)

Directions

Mix meat with bread crumbs, garlic, salt, pepper, and milk. Knead together with hands. Roll into heaping tablespoon sized meatballs. Set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 1 minute. Add meatballs between the onions and brown for 1 minute. (You might have to do this in batches depending on the size of your skillet. Or freeze some for later). Pour in a jar of marinara; shake pan gently to mix. Put on the lid and simmer for 20 minutes.

When ready to serve, cut each dinner roll in half. Place cheese on top and bottom. Spoon a meatball with sauce onto the bottom bun and top. Serve extra sauce on the side. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I'd known you love her like me - I have an extra autographed copy of her cookbook at my house and would have sent it to you! I read it cover to cover too and have made a few things - but we regularly eat stuff off her site! LOVE HER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanna! I read her blog every day too! I love her and everything she cooks. I go to her website or Tasty Kitchen for every meal. I hope you are doing great and I enjoy reading your blog. Everything looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete