Friday, April 29, 2011

Cookies 'n Cream Cupcakes


You know, I'm not a huge fan of Oreos, but for some reason this recipe spoke to me. I had no reason to make them other than to bake, so I took them to my sister's classroom for a special treat for her students. I was told they were "amazing" and "the best cupcake I've ever had." My sister said her students were on their knees begging for seconds. She could just be inflating my ego by saying that, but doubtful.

Cookies 'n Cream Cupcakes
Adapted from TastyKitchen.com

Ingredients

Cupcake:
1 c butter, softened
2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 whole eggs
1 c milk
1 1/4 c flour
1 1/2 c self-rising flour
1 1/2 c crushed Oreo cookies (I put mine in the food processor and pulverlized them)

Frosting:
1/2 c butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 lb powdered sugar
5 tbsp milk
1/2 c ground Oreo cookies
24 whole mini Oreos for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.

In a large stand mixer, while butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (I used my paddle attachment, if you're using a KitchenAid mixer). Stir in vanilla and eggs 1 at a time until combined. Scrape sides and mix again. Slowly stir in flours and milk, alternating back and forth until all ingredients are added to the bowl. Scrap sides down and mix again briefly. Fold in Oreo pieces by hand.

Scoop batter into prepared tins so they are 2/3 full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Once baked, remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Wait until completely totally utterly cool to frost or you'll get ugly melty cupcakes!

For the frosting, whip butter and vanilla together in a large bowl (use a whisk attachment or hand mixer for this). Stir in powdered sugar and then milk. You may not need all of the milk, so check the consistency of your frosting as you go. Whip 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy. * I didn't whip my frosting enough so it was kind of runny. Don't be me! Whip your frosting!*

Fold in ground Oreo pieces and top with mini Oreos.

No comments:

Post a Comment