Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting


We just celebrated a lot of birthdays in the last 2 weeks! Happy Birthday to my Aunts Pami, Kimberle, and Linda as well as my dearest cousin Cassady!!

I wanted to make my aunts some treats but was on a time crunch (hello procrastination...). I used a chocolate fudge box cake mix and then made my own frosting. This buttercream is really yummy and pretty easy- you just throw the ingredients into the mixer and let it go.

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Adapted from SavorySweetLife.com

Ingredients

1 c unsalted butter, softened
3-4 c powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
up to 4 tbsp milk or heavy cream

Directions

In your mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter for a few minutes. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mix on low speed (otherwise you'll be wearing the powdered sugar) until incorporated. Increase the speed and add vanilla, salt and 2 tbsp milk and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If it needs a thinner consistency, add a bit more milk.

I tried my hand at piping again... it went ok. I make a huge mess and am not thrilled with my results. I'm determined to keep trying, however.




No comments:

Post a Comment