Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Zucchini Lemon Bundt Cake with Lemon Glaze


I was given a 2 foot zucchini by a coworker who has an abundance in her garden. What do you do with that much zucchini? I'm not sure. I shredded the whole thing figuring the best bet was to bake with it. I've now got 9 cups of shredded zucchini in my freezer.

This was an excellent use of that zucchini. I can't believe how moist this cake is and I'm not quite sure why, but I'm enjoying it all the same!

Zucchini Lemon Bundt Cake with Lemon Glaze
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living Magazine
*Martha used orange in this recipe, but I sub'd lemon, FYI)

Ingredients

1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
2 1/2 c flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground anise seeds (I left this out cause I don't have such a thing)
1/2 tsp ground cardamom (also left this out, sub nutmeg or clove or something)
Pinch of salt
2 medium zucchini (about 2 1/2 c shredded)
3 eggs
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour your bundt pan.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, spices and salt.

Grate zucchini and squeeze dry in a kitchen towel or fine mesh strainer.

Stir together eggs and sugar, then stir in melted butter, zucchini, zest and juice. Stir in flour mixture. Transfer batter to your prepared pan.

Bake for 50-60 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes or so then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Lemon Glaze

1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1/4 tsp lemon zest
3 tbsp lemon juice
Milk or heavy cream, for thinning

Combine ingredients above minus the milk with a whisk until smooth. Add milk until you get the desired consistency. Spoon onto cake and let set for a few minutes. Enjoy!

1 comment: